Just a few miles from Normandy’s Flowered Coast, in the picturesque town of Pont-l’Evêque, a brand new tourist attraction opened this week: the Calvados Experience. Covering 3,000m2, this exciting multi-sensory experience explores the history of the traditional Norman apple brandy Calvados, via a one-hour interactive tour guaranteed to entertain all the family, not just the adults!
Lasting 1 hour 15 minutes, the tour will certainly awaken the senses, starting with an introduction to Calvados and a brief history of Normandy, followed by a walk through a typical pre-war Norman village, complete with traditional marketplace.
Visitors will learn all about the life cycle of an apple tree, the pressing and fermentation process, the art of distilling and the expertise involved in ageing and blending Calvados. The tour culminates in a visit to the bar, where a Calvados Connoisseur will guide visitors through the three steps of Calvados tasting: the appearance, the nose and the palate. For under 18s, there is a tasty non-alcoholic alternative, fresh Normandy apple juice.
Spirit France, a global Calvados producer and owner of four iconic spirit brands, has redesigned and refurbished its Père Magloire head office in Pont-l’Evêque especially for the Calvados Experience, allowing visitors to discover Normandy through one of the region’s most famous products. The birth of this new major Normandy attraction has therefore been driven by the desire to promote not only a product, but also a region and its history. After all, Calvados is more than just a drink; it is part of France’s, and Normandy’s, cultural and culinary heritage!
Come visit the new Calvados Experience and become a Calvados Connoisseur!
- Opening hours: October-March 10am-1pm / 2pm-6pm | April-September: 9:30am-7pm
- Tickets cost: €12.50 for adults and €8 for children (free for children under 6)
- One-hour tours (available in French, English, German, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Chinese and Japanese)
- Free onsite car and coach parking
- Tour includes two tastings (non-alcoholic drinks for children)
- Onsite bar and gift shop
- Directions: A13 (Pont-l’Evêque exit) then D677 (Pont-l’Evêque exit, direction Deauville) – GPS coordinates: 49°17’37”N0°11’14”E
- Visit bit.ly/howtogettonormandy for more information on travelling to Normandy
Cover photo © S. Frères / Normandy Tourist Board | Text: Calvados Experience