Yes, summer is here and when the sun shines and you’re on your hols, there’s nothing better than a homemade ice cream! Here are our seven summer suggestions for top ice cream spots in Normandy…
Glace de la Ferme, Honfleur
This is the tale of a dairy farmer from Saint-Jean-de-la-Léqueraye in the Eure who comes and sells his ice cream on Normandy’s Côte Fleurie, in Honfleur. Right next to the old harbour, there is always a queue at the shop selling his ice cream on sunny days. All his customers agree on how yummy the ice cream is, especially original flavours like strawberry and rhubarb. In 2015, TripAdvisor ranked Glace de la Ferme among the top ten in France.
- 4 rue Geneviève Seydoux, 14600 Honfleur
- Opening hours: 12pm to midnight every day throughout the summer
La Ferme Follet, near Saint-Valery-en-Caux
If you are near this pretty seaside resort on the Alabaster Coast, take time out to visit Hélène and Arnaud Follet on their farm. You could always opt to watch on at milking time at 5.30pm or indulge in a yummy ice cream in this bucolic setting, with your feet up on the terrace.
- Address: 240 impasse d’Artemare, 76450 St Vaast Dieppedalle
- Opening hours: 2pm-7pm on Thursday/Friday and 10am-12pm/2pm-6pm on Saturday
Delicious Rouen, Rouen
The intriguingly named tearoom Delicious Rouen opened its doors at the end of 2017, with ice cream writ large on the menu. For those passionate about ice cream, the choice of flavours is startling, ranging from rose and violet to lavender and ginger, and cakes and soup are also available. All ice cream is organic and gluten free, and can be eaten in situ or take away.
- Address: 3 rue de l’Hôpital, 76000 Rouen
- Opening hours: 2pm-7pm on Sunday/Monday, 11am-7pm on Tuesday/Wednesday and 11am-11:30pm on Thursday/Friday/Saturday
Glacier Simard, Ouistreham Riva-Bella
Ice cream maker Simard comes highly recommending, and makes the tastiest homemade ice cream, crêpes and waffles. Christophe Simard uses fresh fruit in his recipes, which he buys where possible from local suppliers. These are ice creams with a difference! Enjoy unusuql flavours such as Christophe’s special Camembert, tomato and basil, or strawberry and fennel. You can even try the local rice pudding flavoured ice cream, Teurgoule, with a cheeky hint of cinammon and Calvados.
- Address: 85 avenue de la Mer, 14150 Ouistreham Riva-Bella
- Opening hours: 12pm to 11:45pm every day throughout the summer
La Ferme du Grand Pacey, Vezins, Bay of the Mont-Saint-Michel
If you are looking for a delicious tasting ice cream made in 100% naturally then come to the Ferme du Grand Pacey in Manche. Traditional methods are used to produce this ice cream from the milk of cows who graze on succulent Norman grass for most of the year. Indulge in some rose, lychee, raspberry or caramel ice cream, and don’t forget to take a cool box, as you’ll want to take some away with you!
- Address: Le Grand Pacey, 50540 Vezins
- Opening hours: 2:30pm-6pm on Wednesday/Saturday
Glace de la Ferme Bidard, Lonlay l’Abbaye
Delphine, Hervé et Pascaline Bidard make some intriguing flavoured ice cream on their family-run farm, including sorbet made from poiré, the local perry from this pretty spot in the Orne, and toffee ice cream too. Enjoy!
- Address: Lieu-dit La Guerche Carrée, 61700 Lonlay-L’Abbaye
- Opening hours: 2pm-5pm on Wednesday and 10am-12:30pm/2pm-5pm on Saturday
Martine Lambert, Deauville
It was in 1975 that Martine opened her first shop in Deauville, and such was its success that she went on to open two more shops in Paris. But safe to say, you can’t beat eating homemade ice cream by the sea, so her first shop have that undeniable edge. The high fruit content of its sorbets (70% on average) ensures a rich colour and delicious flavour, with no artificial additives – hurrah!
- Address: 76 bis rue Eugène Colas, 14800 Deauville
- Opening hours: 10am-7:30pm every day between 1 April and 30 September
For more information on food and drink in Normandy, visit the Normandy Tourism website.
Cover photo © Andris Romanovskis | Text: Alison Weatherhead
One Comment Add yours
I bought some delicious artisan ice-creams at Port en Bassin 2 weeks ago